Gibson TB-Granada Mastertone #1485-3
#1485-3 (see Gibson banjo serial numbers vs. factory order numbers) was shipped on December 4, 1935 to the C.C. Beedle Piano Company, a Gibson dealer in Keene, New Hampshire, and is from the next-to-the last known batch of prewar Granadas to be produced before the model was discontinued in 1937. The first banjo from this lot to leave the factory, #1485-5, had been shipped on August 21, 1935, but such was the low demand for high-end tenor banjos by this time that not until August 12, 1937 did the last of these five banjos, #1485-4, leave the factory.
This example conforms to standard catalog specifications for a 1930s Granada tenor with curly maple neck, curly maple resonator with sunburst finish, a one-piece flange, gold plating on all hardware and engraving on the tension hoop and armrest, a forty-hole archtop tone ring, flying eagle inlays in a rosewood fingerboard, a double-cut peghead, multi-ply black and white binding on neck and resonator, and a clamshell tailpiece. The tuners are high-end Grovers with large Catalin buttons and the banjo remains in its original #509 case by Geib and Schaefer.
Photos courtesy of